Maersk and Hapag-Lloyd Partner to Form New Gemini Cooperation

Maersk and Hapag-Lloyd partner to establish the new "Gemini Cooperation" (Image: Phaata)


The Danish shipping giant Maersk and the German shipping company Hapag-Lloyd have signed a new cooperation agreement for long-term operations.

The new "Gemini Cooperation" is anticipated to start in February 2025 and aims to deliver a “flexible and interconnected ocean network with industry-leading reliability.”

The CEO of Hapag-Lloyd stated: “Teaming up with Maersk will help us to further boost the quality we deliver to our customers. Additionally, we will benefit from efficiency gains in our operations and joint efforts to further accelerate the decarbonisation of our industry.”

The new collaboration between the two companies will include a fleet of about 290 ships with a total capacity of 3.4 million TEU, of which Maersk will deploy 60% and Hapag-Lloyd will account for the remaining 40%.

“We are pleased to enter this cooperation with Hapag-Lloyd, which is the ideal ocean partner on our strategic journey. By entering this cooperation, we will be offering our customers a flexible ocean network that will raise the bar for reliability in the industry. This will strengthen our integrated logistics offering and meet our customers’ needs,” commented Vincent Clerc, CEO of Maersk.

As part of the agreement, the two companies have set a target to achieve over 90% schedule reliability once the network is fully deployed.

Due to this cooperation, Hapag-Lloyd will leave THE Alliance at the end of January 2025, when the 2M alliance between Maersk and MSC also concludes.

In 2024, Maersk and Hapag-Lloyd will plan the transition from the current alliance to the new operational cooperation, while customer services will continue under the existing agreements.



Read more:


Source: (According to Maersk | Container News) - Vietnam's First International Logistics Marketplace

Find Better Freight Rates & Logistics Services!